Today’s post is sponsored by Wyman’s of Maine. They hooked me up with some free blueberries and I cooked with them. Bing, bang, boom – That’s it.
Vol-Au-Vent is a French term, meaning “windblown”, and is used to describe the light texture of hollowed out puff pastry. If you’ve never cooked with puff pastry, I hope you at least had the chance to eat some. It’s pretty darn amazing. It’s light, crispy, flaky, deliciousness that you can’t begin to understand until you experience it yourself. Paired with the antioxidant packed combo of chocolate and blueberries… wow. Just, wow.
These may look intimidating, but I can promise you they aren’t. You can go from “hey, I want to make those” to “ta-da” in under 30 minutes. You need zero experience with puff pastry, no crazy ingredients, and despite the look of the filling, no need to worry if you’ve never made jam. You can even enlist the aid of your little ones, if you so desire.
Pepperidge Farms makes these amazing little frozen puff pastry cups. You can find them in the freezer section of your grocery store, and in mine they are located in the same case, directly above the Wyman’s fruit! They come out in little strips that you break apart and place on a baking sheet. In less than 20 minutes, what went in as little frozen discs come out as these cool little cups! I have all sorts of ideas for stuffing these bad boys, both sweet and savory!
Blueberries and Chocolate are both packed with antioxidants, but did you also know that blueberries are high in fiber, manganese, potassium, Vitamin C and folate? They are a super food! They are also super yummy, especially the wild blueberries Wyman’s packages. Wild blueberries are smaller than your typical store bought blueberry. They are also both sweet and tart at the same time. Very delicious!
Blueberries and chocolate have been a favorite combination for a while. Have you ever had a chocolate covered blueberry? If not, you must! Neither flavor overpowers the other and the two together have this sweet, rich, complex flavor. They are perfect compliments to each other.
One baking sheet and a sauce pan… that’s all you need. There’s no crazy prep, no special tools. Just you, some standard kitchen staples, your puff pastry and the blueberries. Check out the step by step recipe below and don’t forget to check out Wyman’s of Maine’s blueberries and their other fruit varieties available.
- 15 oz Wyman's Fresh Frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1 Package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Cups Dough
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- Prepare the puff pastry cups according to package directions.
- In the meantime, combine the blueberries, sugar and cocoa powder in a sauce pan.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the berries have started to break down and thicken (about 8-10 minutes), remove them from the heat.
- Allow the filling to cool for approximately 5 minutes, or until the puff pastry cups have cooled enough to handle them.
- Using a small spoon, fill each cup with the chocolate blueberry mixture.
- Cool completely before serving.