Fried Italian Herb Macaroni
That’s life these days. I’m always looking for life-hacks, aren’t you? Things to make life easier, quicker, and better for all of us. There’s value in those things. More value than I can put a price tag on!
A few weeks ago I introduced you to Sauté Express® Sauté Starters from Land O Lakes® with this Sizzling Chicken and Green Bean Stir-fry. I was, and still am, impressed with the flavor these little packets punch. I was at a friend’s house last night when she opened her fridge, grabbed a Sauté Express® Sauté Starters square and said ‘we love these things!’ I got a little hungry just thinking about chicken sauteed up the Garlic & Herb.
Being so impressed with that flavor, I set out to try another… this time, it was the Italian Herb. When I initially develop and test recipes, I usually do it on the weekends or at lunch on one of my two days at home during the week. As fate would have it, it worked out that I was in the kitchen on a Wednesday at lunch. When I was happy with my results (only 2 tried, mind you – and not that the first wasn’t good too), I enjoyed a helping for lunch and retired the remainder to the fridge, planning to make it my lunch again on Thursday.
Why am I telling you this? I’m getting to that… Now, my husband doesn’t *love* food the way I do, but he does has his favorites. That same Wednesday, I had one of his favorites all ready to go for dinner when he got home from work. I don’t remember the exact circumstances, but at some point before dinner was actually served up, Hubs was in the fridge and spotted my lunch time success. ‘What’s this?’ he asks, pulling the container from the fridge. I explain what it is. ‘Can I try it?’ … ‘Well, sure you can.’
And that was that. After tasting my Fried Italian Herb Macaroni, he decided it was better and the dinner I had made him could be leftovers for the next night. Wow. Really? Who is this man and what has he done with my husband? Try it for yourself and let me know what you think…
This is another great, on the table in less than 30 minutes dish that you could easily add chicken or shrimp to for additional protein, but is substantial enough to stand alone.
There are two other flavors of Sauté Express® Sauté Starters that I look forward to trying in the very near future. They are definitely making my life easier, and adding a little more flavor too!
- 8 oz Macaroni Noodles, uncooked
- 2 cubes Italian Herb Sauté Express® Sauté Starters
- 1 small Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While the macaroni is cooking, heat 2 cubes of Italian Herb Sauté Express® Sauté Starters over medium heat in a medium skillet.
- Once the Sauté Express® Sauté Starters have started to bubble, add the onion and cook until just translucent.
- Drain the macaroni and return it to the pot.
- Add tomatoes and the onion mixture.
- Take a spoon of the hot mixture and add it to the beaten egg.
- Stir quickly to temper the egg.
- Add the egg mixture to the pasta mixture and stir well.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the hot skillet, distribute it evenly and press down on it to flatten and compact it in the pan.
- Cook over medium heat approximately 10 minutes or until the bottom of the macaroni has browned and the egg in the mixture has cooked completely.
- Turn out onto a cutting board and allow to cool slightly before cutting.
Disclosure: The author received a full-value coupon redeemable for Sauté Express® Sauté Starter for recipe development and review purposes. All opinions are my own.