This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YourSeasonIsServed #CollectiveBias
I am all about quick and easy, especially when the holidays roll around. My to-do list is a mile long, generally getting longer by the minute, so I am always looking for short cuts. I consolidate my shopping trips, buy some items pre-made and use mixes as recipe starters. All of this saves me time and money, yet still allows me to make fantastic meals, snacks and desserts to impress family and friends.
I had the most amazing chocolate mousse at our company picnic this summer. It was flavorful, creamy and had an amazing texture. After getting the recipe from my co-worker, I realized it was also far more time consuming than I had any interest in pursuing. With the holidays right around the corner, I decided to try my hand at a less labor intensive version of chocolate mousse.
Chocolate mousse is much lighter and fluffier than chocolate pudding. It’s all of the air in the whipped egg whites that make it so puffy and delicious. Rather than melting and flavoring chocolate from scratch, I decided to take a product I love, Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix, and use it as a base for my mousse. Mousse is really a simple recipe. Along with your chocolate base, all you need it egg whites, cream and a little sugar. Since I’m always using short cuts, I skipped the cream and used Reddi-wip® instead. After all, Reddi-wip® is made from real cream.
Use a glass or metal bowl. No plastic.
Make sure your bowl is super clean and free of oil (including residue from your fingers).
Make sure not to get any yolk in your egg whites. Separate each egg into a small bowl, then transfer the separated white into your large bowl. Doing this will keep you from messing up several egg whites when you accidentally bust a yolk.
Don’t add the sugar to your egg whites until they are already forming peaks.
This recipe is so simple! It will definitely be the easiest mousse you will ever make. I can’t wait for you to try it. What are some of your favorite holiday dessert shortcuts? Share them with us here in the comments or on Facebook.
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 8 Packets Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 Cup Reddi-Wip® (plus additional for garnish)
- Separate egg whites into a clean, glass or metal bowl. Discard yolks. Allow to reach room temperature.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until the egg whites more than double in volume and begin to form peaks.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating the egg whites until firm peaks form. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the Reddi-Wip® and Swiss Miss packets. Stir to combine and heat until bubbling.
- Gently fold the hot chocolate mixture into the egg whites. Fold until mixed. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the mousse mixture into individual serving glasses or ramekins and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Find Marie Callender’s Dessert Pies, Swiss Miss and Reddi-wip® products in a Kroger or Kroger banner store near you. Kroger banners include Dillons, King Soopers, Frys, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Food 4 Less, QFC, Smiths, and Harris Teeter. Find a store near you. Receive a FREE Reddi-wip® (6.5 oz) when you buy one Marie Callender’s Fruit or Cream Pie (11/16-11/24).*
*Discount automatically applied at register with qualifying purchase. Must use shopper card with purchase. Participating locations only. Offer expires 11/24/16. See store for additional details. Limit 1 per transaction.