One of my first foodie crushes was Jaden of Steamy Kitchen. I remember finding her site, then stalking her on Twitter and now I’m sitting here eating her Korean Beef Bites. Well, I made them, but it’s her recipe. When I found out she wanted our #SundaySupper group to not only try out a few of her recipes, but also giveaway 20 (!) of her cookbooks, I jumped at the chance!
In case I don’t have your attention yet…
The simplicity of these beautiful little bites is what makes them so perfect. Even if you choose to make your own kimchi over buying store bought like I did, these are ridiculously easy to put together. The most time consuming part of the whole process is cooking the steak, and even that is honestly a very quick process.
The slightly sweet, slightly spicy flavor of the beef pairs perfectly with the tangy bite of the kimchi. The rice crackers were a surprisingly delicious palate for the pair. They don’t taste quite like any cracker I’ve ever had before and I found myself munching on them right out of the package. And, they are gluten-free! In fact, you can make this whole recipe gluten-free if need be with just a few small adjustments.
healthy asian favorites is FULL of recipes just as simple in preparation, but so FULL of flavor! My favorite section is definitely the ‘little bites’. I want to have a party just so I can show off by preparing Jaden’s recipes for my guests!
Jaden has been gracious enough to allow me to share the Korean Beef Bites recipe with you! You’ll find it below. Try it… I promise you’ll be in love! If you want to pick up your own copy of healthy asian favorites, you can:
or you can WIN one!
Here is how to enter to win. You must do both, #1 and #2, to have an eligible entry:
1. Tell me what your favorite Asian dish is in a comment below – AND – with your twitter handle in the comment. Comment must be posted by 8pm Eastern time today (Sunday, March 10, 2013).
2. Join in the conversation during the live #SundaySupper chat on twitter from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time today (Sunday, March 10, 2013). Your tweet(s) must contain the #SundaySupper hashtag.
The winner will be chosen randomly from the eligible entries. The winner will be notified via email. Note: Giveaway open for United States residents only. Contest ends on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 8pm Eastern Time. This is a quick giveaway, so be sure to enter now!
In the meantime, check out Jaden and Steamy Kitchen through her various social media profiles:
- ½ pound flank or sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 24 rice crackers
- ½ cup prepared kimchi
- 1 green onion, very thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Slice the steak as thin as you can into at least 24 pieces. If you are using flank steak, be sure to slice across the grain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the steak and mix to coat.
- Marinate for at least 10 minutes at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- You’ll cook the steak in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- When the pan is hot, add the steak, and grill 1 to 2 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your slices.
- To serve, on each rice cracker layer a slice of steak, the kimchi, and garnish with green onion.
Don’t forget to join us tonight at 7 pm EST for our #SundaySupper chat! Jaden will be joining us, so I know it will be a chat you don’t want to miss.
After you’ve got your entry in, hop over to these other blogs participating in this 20 cookbook giveaway. You can check out some of Jaden’s other recipes and enter for a chance to win on those sites as well!
Tofu-Mushroom Miso Soup
Crispy Rice Patties
Thai Larb Lettuce Chicken Cups
Sake Steamed Mussels
Salmon Honey Teriyaki
Korean Beef Bites
The following Sunday Supper Contributors will be joining us with some of their favorite recipes from the Steamy Kitchen blog:
- Kung Pao Chicken by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prime Rib Roast with Miso au jus by The Urban Mrs.
- Kickin’ Tequila Shrimp by Gourmet Drizzles
- Korean Beef Rice Bowl by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pan Fried Shrimp and Pork Fried Potstickers by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Shrimp Curry by Ninja Baking
I was provided with a copy of Steamy Kitchen’s healthy asian favorites for my review. All opinions are my own.