Having everyone sit down for dinner is hard any day of the week, but for many families it’s only getting hard this week… Back to school. With homework, clubs, practices and other activities to work around, meal time can become especially difficult. This will be my first year as a ‘school mom’ and I’m already feeling the pressure. With a husband who doesn’t roll in before 6 pm and kids who need to be in bed by 7:30 (which means starting the routine by 7 pm), dinner time is tight. Part of making it work means making meals that are quick, but quick doesn’t have to mean it’s out of a box.
The timer is set… Here we go!Thirty minutes with your child in a doctor’s office waiting room feels like an eternity. Thirty minutes in the kitchen with a timer ticking down the seconds does not. I’ve talked about it before, but one of the best ways to make meals times together happen more efficiently is to prep ahead what you can. For this recipe, the shrimp were bought de-veined and thawed in the fridge overnight. You could even go as far as peeled and cooked shrimp, but they cook so quickly anyway, I don’t personally see the value in the extra cost.
Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and get a large pot of water on the stove for the pasta. While both are coming up to temp, shuck your corn and wrap it in foil, finely chop your onion and get your shrimp peeled.
Your corn goes in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning it every 5 minutes or so. You can actually do this the night before and simply reheat the corn before you toss the pasta together. Salt your pasta water and add your pasta. Return the water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
Melt your butter in a medium saute pan over moderate heat, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the onions to just start to soften up a bit. Add your minced garlic and shrimp to the pan, stirring to combine the ingredients. Cook until the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent. Remove from the heat and add the juice of 1 lemon and the dill, mixing well.
Your corn and pasta should both be just about done. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add in the shrimp mixture. Pull your corn out of the oven to cool.
In a small, non-stick pan, melt 1 Tbsp of butter over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir them frequently, toasting them lightly. Remove them from the heat once they are a nice light golden brown.
Carefully handling the corn, cut the kernels off the cob and add them to the pasta (this is where doing this ahead really comes in handy.) Once you toss everything to mix it well, you’re ready to dish it up! Top your pasta with some of the toasted breadcrumbs, a little Parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of dill and a lemon wedge on the side.
Totally yummy and totally do-able in under 30 minutes!
Want to see what else you can whip up for #BacktoSchool dinner? Check out this awesome line up of delicious dishes from our #SundaySupper crew…
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
Rock the #BacktoSchool #SundaySupper chat with us on Twitter tonight at 7 PM EST. It’s always a fun filled hour full of tips, tricks and more!