A few weeks months ago, my sister gave me a 3 deep drawer storage bin thing to use to organize some of my random craft stuff. It sat in the garage for a good while before I ever got around to digging through the pile, literally, of stuff stacked in a corner of my family room. Buried deep in the pile was a wooded letter I bought at Micheal’s forever ago. I’m not sure what I ever really intended to do with it, so it got filed away in one of the drawers with many other forgot crafty pieces.
Thursday was a very long day at work. Both kids were sick (strep throat…ick), the hubs took the day off work to stay home with them and chaos ensued. Friday is normally an incredibly busy day for us, this week not so much. Surprisingly, people really didn’t want us to share the strep germs. I needed a break from working, so I was looking for something to do and I heard the Mod Podge calling my name…
It was a pretty easy project, a little time consuming (drying) and a little messy (cleans up easy with water though). I started by tracing the letter on a sheet of scrapbooking paper (front of the letter to the back of the paper) and using an X-Acto knife to cut it out.
The reason you trace on the back side of the paper is so that you don’t end up with any pencil lines on the front. It was easier to rotate the paper through the curves than to try to rotate the knife.
Mod Podge looks a lot like Elmer’s Glue, so it’s not super easy to see how thick you are putting the Mod Podge on, so I try not to put much on my brush at once. So, starting with a little Mod Podge I painted over the edge of the letter and attached the strips I cut for the edge, working carefully to make sure it was straight and without air bubbles. Overlap the strips a little at the end just to make sure you have good coverage, then add a thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper. You may want to do one strip at a time and let it dry a little in between.
Once the edges were covered and everything dried, I added a thin layer of Mod Podge over the front of the letter and added the cut out I traced. Same process as above… Mod Podge, paper, more Mod Podge.
I added one more layer of Mod Podge, just to smooth out the surface a little…
I’m really happy with the finished project, and though I was pretty sure I was going to hang it beside my desk, it has actually ended up in my kitchen on the counter where I can look at it every day 🙂