I’ve been out of the kitchen for far too long. We finally, finally had a few warmer days here this week – just in time for spring break – and the summery taste of citrus was a perfect way to soak up our fleeting heat. I don’t know what the deal is with our weather right now and I’m not completely convinced our meteorologists do either, but whatever it is, I am over it. So over it. I want summer and I want it now!
Sadly, the heat isn’t here to stay, or so we’re being told, and I’ll be snuggling back up in my puffy vest jackets for at least a few more weeks this year. We (and by we, I mean ‘I’) have managed to get out and clear the garden plot so that it will be ready to go come April 15th (I won’t plant before April 15th) and we’ve got a few seeds we’re ready to start inside in the next week or so.
My daughter has the orange seeds she’s been hanging onto since last year. They’ve been on the window sill, dry and waiting to be planted. She’s determined to grow an orange tree, despite the fact that they don’t really grow here. She gets points for determination, I suppose. Perhaps we’ll have a few tiny, even if uneatable, oranges of our own this summer.
Maybe it’s warm enough where you are to sit outside and sip on a little bit of sunshine? Maybe it’s not. Either way, you can enjoy the taste of one of our popsicle favorites in the convenience of a smoothie.
If you need something a little more substantial than a smoothie, these #SundaySupper contributors have citrus down to a science. I’m hoping to try some of these myself, and soon!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
- 4 cups Ice
- 4 cups Orange Juice (fresh or packaged, but you want some pulp)
- 12 oz Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- Whipped Cream
- Combine the ice, orange juice and yogurt in a blender. Blend with the ‘ice crush’ or ‘smoothie’ setting.
- Layer in a glass with whipped cream.
- Serve with sliced oranges, if desired.
- For a sweeter smoothie, add honey or agave nectar to taste.
Are you having anything citrus as part of your Easter celebration? Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about your favorite citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. When we’ve had our fill of eggs and bunnies, we’ll have our weekly chat at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
If you find the warm weather, could you send it our way? Old Man Winter just won’t go away!