Dear jellyfish, Go home – you’re drunk! In my thirty-three years on this earth, visiting the beach every one of them, I have – had – managed to avoid the wrath of the jellyfish. Notice the “had”.
That would be me, being highly unimpressed with our jellyfish friends. Within a matter of seconds, my 7 year old daughter, my 3 year old niece and I were all stung by the Atlantic Sea Nettle. Holy moly… that hurt worse than the majority of my unmedicated labor with my son. The best way I can describe it is this: It felt like something bit a huge chunk out of my leg, and then I laid down on an electric fence.
Oak Island is a beautiful place. We’ve been vacationing here since 2003. This is the first year we’ve ever experienced jellyfish like we have this year. I mean, we occasionally see them washed up in the early morning, but never in the surf and we’ve never seen anyone stung. Within minutes of the three of us being stung, another little boy was stung as well. I can only assume that the storm from the night before really tossed them up. I shared this picture of the storm on Instagram:
For future reference, per the lovely gentleman at the Oak Island Fire Department, do not use vinegar or anything else on a jellyfish sting. You should however take a soak in a hot bath, as hot as you can stand, and it will stop the sting. I can vouch for the fact that it works. Really, after the first 20 minutes or so of feeling like I was laying on an electric fence, the hot water felt amazing.
Have you experienced a jellyfish sting? Do jellyfish and other creatures of the deep keep you out of the ocean waters?