It’s time for a Fiesta!
Today (September 16th) is Mexican Independence Day and we’re celebrating #SundaySupper style!
Now, when most people think ‘Mexican’ they automatically jump to burritos, quesadillas and the like, but my mind goes straight to the margaritas. We have this great little Mexican hole-in-the-wall restaurant that serves a basic margarita by the pitcher…the fajitas are good, but I go there for the margaritas.
I knew as soon as our theme was announced this week that I would be creating a margarita of some sort. A quick bit of research on Mexican produce lead me to the kiwi. Kiwi is an often overlooked fruit. How many desserts do you know that utilize kiwi? Kiwi have a soft, but meaty texture and their flavor lands nicely between sweet and tart.
Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margatita
(makes 1 drink)
2 Ripe Kiwi
2 oz White Grape Juice
2 oz Tequila (I prefer Patron)
2 Tbsps Lime Juice (Divided)
3/4 cup Ice
I know…I know. First, let me address the fact that I use rimming salt rather than sugar for a fruity drink. Call me crazy, but I like the contrast between the flavors of the fruit and the salt. You could certainly use rimming sugar instead.
Peel the kiwi, split each in half lengthwise, remove the firm, white centers and discard those. You can also very gently scrap the inside of the kiwi to remove some of the seeds if you choose, but the seeds are very small and it’s really no problem if you prefer to leave them in.
In a blender, combine the kiwi, ice, white grape juice, tequila and 1 Tbsp lime juice. Blend until smooth.
Moisten the rim of a glass with the remaining lime juice and dip the edge of the glass in your salt (or sugar) to rim your glass.
Serve immediately in your rimmed glass.
Who’s ready to get this party started? Got your drinks? I know I’ve got mine!
What else is on the menu for our little fiesta? Check out these other great Mexican inspired dished from our #SundaySupper crew…
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip – Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup – Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar – Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe – Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables – Diabetic Foodie
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) – The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper – Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa – Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas – My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie – Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños – The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada – Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle – Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) – La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil – girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce – Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce – Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso – Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas – Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola – What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor – Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos – Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos – Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros – Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles – Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas – In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas – The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas – That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita – Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas – I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita – Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – ENOFYLZ
As always, we’ll be chatting it up on Twitter at 7 pm EST. We’d love to have you join us. All you need to do if follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and jump right in!
You’ve seen how we throw a fiesta, now tell me about your favorite Mexican dish…