I don’t know about how things are around your house during the week, but we struggle a lot here with dinner. Both my husband and I work and between getting kids picked up, homework, Girl Scouts, dance, this fundraiser night and that… dinner needs to be quick. Less than 30 minutes quick. I am not Rachel Ray. I do not have an army of 30 minute meals up my sleeve. Dinner gets interesting around here often.
Last week’s #SundaySupper was all about being inspired by others. I was inspired by The Meltaways’ Tomato Florentine Soup, and subsequently by my husband’s thoughts about it. He loved it and mentioned that it had the potential to be a great pasta sauce. So it did.
I had already planned on a shrimp scampi type pasta one night this week, so rather that that, I decided to build off of the soup that had already inspired me, and create a quick pasta dish that is perfect for a week night dinner. The shrimp packs a lot of protein, the spinach is full of vitamins, and the meal itself is so quick you could make it nearly any night of the week. Plus, it gave me another reason to pull out my immersion blender, though the dish would fair just fine without it.
It’s hard to get us all settled around the table during the week, but every meal together counts.
- 1 lb Thin Spaghetti
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes (14 oz)
- ¼ cup Fat Free Half and Half
- 2 cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 lb medium Shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 6 oz raw Spinach
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
- Combine tomatoes, half and half, garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, pepper, and salt in a skillet.
- Heat over medium high heat until bubbly.
- You may use an immersion blender at this point to smooth the sauce or leave it as is.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce.
- Tear spinach leaves and add to the sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat until the shrimp have cooked through.
- Drain the pasta and combine it with the sauce and Parmesan cheese.