Welcome to another week of #SundaySupper!
Life is feeling really complicated most days, but just because life is complicated doesn’t mean my dinner recipes have to be. This week’s #SundaySupper is dedicated to recipes with 5 ingredients or less. Simple, right?
When I think of simple recipes with only a few ingredients, I try to think of ingredients that pack a punch… high intensity spices, nutrient packed veggies, fats that add flavor. The first thing that entered my mind this week? Sweet potatoes.
Does your state have a Sweet Potato Commission? North Carolina does. I had no idea it existed until I found out they were one of the sponsors for 2012 TypeACon. How awesome is that? I wonder what other awesome food-related commissions we have? Anyway, these orange little beauties are bursting with vitamins A and C. They are also a healthier alternative to white potatoes and generally diabetic-friendly (sadly, my recipe below is not). They taste great roasted, fried, baked, steamed, grilled and pretty much any other way you can come up with to cook them.
Sweet and Nutty
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
2 large Sweet Potatoes
1/2 stick of Butter
1/4 cup chopped Pecans
1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
This part can be done ahead!
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your potatoes thoroughly, carefully scrubbing to remove any dirt. Using a knife, stab several small hole sin each potato and place them directly on the center rack in your oven. Bale the potatoes for an hour, then remove them from the oven to cool.
Once your potatoes have cooled, slice them in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the flesh. Place it in a mixing bowl.
In the meantime, melt the butter in a non-stick sauce pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, stir in the pecans and cook for about 2 minutes or until the pecans become fragrant. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon, reduce heat to low and allow the flavors to meld.
While the butte mixture gets cozy, use a potato masher or fork to break up the potato flesh. Sweet potatoes are very easy to smash. You could also use a mixer to whip the potatoes if you would like. Once you’ve reached a relatively smooth consistency, stir in the hot butter mixture.
Scoop the potato mixture back into two of the hollowed sweet potato skins and carefully place them back on the rack in a preheated 425 degree oven. Allow then to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they get a nice, light brown crust on the flesh.
Pull them from the oven carefully and serve with a little additional butter and brown sugar.
Not your cup of tea? Check out the 50 other recipes cooked up by the #SundaySupper team this week!
Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:
- Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes – Kimchi Mom
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal – Home Cooking Memories
- GlutenFree Apricot Bacon Onion and Cheese Spread or Dip – Cooking Underwriter
- Caprese Bites – My Catholic Kitchen
- So Simple Pizza Puffs – Hip Foodie Mom
- Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter – What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam – The Messy Baker Blog
- Broccoli and Feta Frittata – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta – I Run For Wine
- Gulasch – Galactosemia in PDX
- Spaghetti with Kale and Sausage – Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Appley Kielbasa – The Meltaways
- Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes – Juanita’s Cocina
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches – Supper for a Steal
- Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce – Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Noodles – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinated Flank – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter – Noshing With The Nolands
- Herbed Butter Pork Chops – Brie’s Bites
- Creamy Ham Linguine – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Pesto, Tomato & Feta Pizza – Momma’s Meals
- Quick Black Bean Burritos – Diabetic Foodie
- Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Stuffed Shells – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Potato Kugel – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Garlic Butter Fried Rice – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Alfredo – Family Foodie
- Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb – Maroc Mama
- Sweet and Nutty Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes – Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Baked Sweet Potato with Maple-Jalapeno – Comfy Cuisine
- Freezable Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Big Bear’s Wife
- Grilled Polenta Cakes – Lovely Pantry
- Nutella Ice Cream – Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M’s – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Mango Parfait with Greek Yogurt & Silvered Almonds – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Honey Macaroons – Pippis In the Kitchen Again
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – Damn Delicious
- Homemade Caramel Sauce – Chocolate Moosey
- Easy Chocolate Chilli Fudge – Soni’s Food for Thought
- White-Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry Doughnuts – The Weekend Gourmet
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream – Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake – Baker Street
- Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Five Most Food Friendly Wines – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 Ingredient Recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!